As members of Peoples Democratic Party prepare for the forthcoming National Convention that is scheduled to hold before the end of October, youths of the party have called on the various organs to ensure inclusion of youths in the constitution of the Convention Planning and the Zoning Committees.
The youths, under the platform of Save PDP Group and Coalition of PDP Youth Groups, made their position on Tuesday at the end of an emergency meeting that was held in Abuja, the federal capital territory.
In a communiqué signed by the leader, Comrade Tamunotonye Inioribo, the group cautioned against the tradition of sidelining young people of the party in the composition of critical adhoc and standing committees of the party.
The communiqué reads:
- On the 9th and 10th of August, gallant youths of the Peoples Democratic Party under the united banner of Save PDP Group and Coalition of PDP Youth Groups walked the streets of Abuja to protest the continuous stay of Prince Uche Secondus as the National Chairman of our great party being that majority of PDP members have lost confidence in him, and he has failed the party in no small measure.
- Although we strongly hold that Prince Uche Secondus has no business to remain in office as the National Chairman of our party, we welcome the truce reached by our amiable leaders in the Board of Trustees, Governors Forum, Former Governors Forum, National Assembly and other critical stakeholders of our party to resolve this issue.
- We therefore, welcome the decisions of the agreement reached by our leaders on Tuesday, 10th August, 2021 with respect to bringing forward the National Convention to latest October 2021, and the convocation of the National Executive Committee that will appoint members of the National Convention and National Zoning Committees next week.
- In the above respect, we call on the NEC, Governors Forum, BoT and other organs to appreciate that the youths and other young people of the party are critical stakeholders and the engine room of PDP. We ask that they are appropriately consulted and adequately represented in the composition of the National Convention Planning Committee and National Zoning Committee.
- We appreciate all critical stakeholders, including our respected Governors, brave members of the National Working Committee, National zonal vice chairmen, party youths and women, and other members of our great party that stood for what is right by calling for the exit of the outgoing National Chairman of our party.
- We equally appreciate Nigerians, the media, social media influencers and all those that stood in solidarity with us during our 2-Days protest.
- Furthermore, we call on our loyal members and all Nigerians not to lose sleep as the mission to rescue PDP and Nigeria has just begun.
- May God bless PDP, Bless PDP Youths and Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
For: Save PDP Group & Coalition of PDP Youth Groups