The southwest executive committee of Peoples Democratic Party has described a stakeholders meeting for southwest PDP zone as the gathering of “friends of Makinde”.
On Friday evening, party stakeholders, including Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo state, former deputy national chairman of PDP, Chief Olabode George, former Ekiti state governor, Chief Ayo Fayose and others, met at Oyo State Government House for a stakeholders meeting of PDP in the zone.
But reacting to the meeting, the Zonal publicity Secretary of PDP, Ayo Fadaka, disclosed that the meeting was not sanctioned by the southwest executive of PDP, and labelled it “a gathering of friends of Governor Makinde”.
The party spokesman made this known in a press statement on Friday night.
See full statement;
RE: MEETING HELD AT THE GOVERNMENT HOUSE, OYO STATE, IBADAN ON FRIDAY 19TH JUNE 2020 .
(1) We take due cognizance of a purported Zonal meeting of the South West Zone of our Party summoned entirely at the pleasure of the Governor of Oyo State, His Excellency, Oluseyi Makinde.
(2) We therefore wish to place on record that the meeting was summoned by Gov. Oluseyi Makinde without any recourse to the Zonal Caretaker Executive Committee, thus it remains an informal gathering of the friends of the Governor and not a Zonal meeting of the Party.
In view of the foregoing, its resolutions, if any is not binding on the Party in the South West Zone.
(3) We declare that the Zonal Executive is constitutionally empowered to drive the affairs of the Party in the South West, and this is a responsibility it cannot delegate. Therefore any Zonal meeting not convened by the Zonal Executive is a direct affront on the Party’s constitution and an unlawful repudiation of same. This action signals the beginning of anarchy within the Party in the Zone and it will be absolutely irresponsible of the Zonal Executive to just ignore it.
We are therefore left with no choice other than to report this development to the National Secretariat who will determine the appropriate response to issues of impunity like this.
(4) We must declare that the current Executive Committee of the South West Zone values very seriously the amity, understanding and cooperation that exist in the Zone and will continue to trenchantly ensure its sustainance.
(5) We also wish to implore all Party leaders to appreciate the recent growth and development in the Party’s fortune and resist any temptation to create any form of disaffection in the Party capable of reversing our gains.
Zonal Publicity Secretary